The leaves are changing, the weather is getting cooler and many of us are getting.....SICK. As we enter Fall, we enter the cold/flu season as well, but you can do some simple things to help build your immune system - preparing for and preventing illness!
1. Drink 8 oz. of warm water with 1/2 lemon squeezed into it EVERY morning 30 minutes before you eat or drink anything else. Why? Boost of Vitamin C, helps detoxify the body - cleaning the kidneys, brings your body PH into balance, washes the digestive system out, hydrates you first thing in the morning.
2. Sleep an average of 8+ hours each night. I know - deadlines, stress, exhaustion, overwhelm - all make it difficult to get a good night's sleep, but sleep is one of your best lines of defense against illness. Sleep helps your body heal overnight - mentally and physically.
3. Take a probiotic supplement. It doesn't have to be super fancy or expensive but check into taking a daily probiotic to support good digestive health (our digestion is a major part of our immune system). Remember, a healthy gut is a healthy you!
4. Practice yoga. I guess you should expect that from a yoga instructor but really, yoga can help you manage stress better, sleep better, release tension, promote better digestion and detoxification and all of these things will support a STRONG immune system. Spend a little extra time practicing backbends - either passive or active - to stimulate your immune system and keep the heart and lungs open and healthy AND feet up the wall (helping keep your lymph fluid refreshed).
5. Find time for self-care. The holidays are often filled with visits, parties, events, and more making it difficult to find time to relax, meditate, read a book or play! Schedule some "me" time into your calendar each week and hold it as sacred. Taking care of your mental health goes a long way to caring for your physical health.
And, finally, if you or someone in your household does catch a cold or flu, here are some recommendations for products that are all natural to help you get through the illness as quickly and painlessly as possible! Peace, Aprille
I have been "playing" and experimenting with yoga, aromatherapy and healthy living since my late teens - researching, testing, reading, investigating, and learning anything that would make my life - and the lives around me - better naturally.
Join our community for health tips, videos, workshops, free content and online offerings coming soon!