The leaves are changing, the weather is getting cooler and many of us are getting.....SICK. As we enter Fall, we enter the cold/flu season as well, but you can do some simple things to help build your immune system - preparing for and preventing illness!
1. Drink 8 oz. of warm water with 1/2 lemon squeezed into it EVERY morning 30 minutes before you eat or drink anything else. Why? Boost of Vitamin C, helps detoxify the body - cleaning the kidneys, brings your body PH into balance, washes the digestive system out, hydrates you first thing in the morning.
2. Sleep an average of 8+ hours each night. I know - deadlines, stress, exhaustion, overwhelm - all make it difficult to get a good night's sleep, but sleep is one of your best lines of defense against illness. Sleep helps your body heal overnight - mentally and physically.
3. Take a probiotic supplement. It doesn't have to be super fancy or expensive but check into taking a daily probiotic to support good digestive health (our digestion is a major part of our immune system). Remember, a healthy gut is a healthy you!
4. Practice yoga. I guess you should expect that from a yoga instructor but really, yoga can help you manage stress better, sleep better, release tension, promote better digestion and detoxification and all of these things will support a STRONG immune system. Spend a little extra time practicing backbends - either passive or active - to stimulate your immune system and keep the heart and lungs open and healthy AND feet up the wall (helping keep your lymph fluid refreshed).
5. Find time for self-care. The holidays are often filled with visits, parties, events, and more making it difficult to find time to relax, meditate, read a book or play! Schedule some "me" time into your calendar each week and hold it as sacred. Taking care of your mental health goes a long way to caring for your physical health.
And, finally, if you or someone in your household does catch a cold or flu, here are some recommendations for products that are all natural to help you get through the illness as quickly and painlessly as possible! Peace, Aprille
I have been "playing" and experimenting with yoga, aromatherapy and healthy living since my late teens - researching, testing, reading, investigating, and learning anything that would make my life - and the lives around me - better naturally.
All of my online offerings are funded by students just like you! If you have enjoyed and benefited from the practices I offer, please consider donating to support free online yoga! Thank you!
One Time Donation
Subscribe to my newsletter for more tips, online offerings and news!
All rights reserved by Aprille Walker and The Yoga Ranger Studio 2014-2018 (copyrighted material)